Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
my dogs are eating maple tree seeds...bad?
05-17-2004, 07:30 AM
:huh: This past week both my dogs have started eating the 'helicopters' (seeds) off the maple trees (the ones on the ground, I mean). I thought it was so odd and Dino actually seemed to have a bellyache yesterday, he had diarrhea and threw up... Dusty doesnt' seem to be bothered by it. I don't know who started it as they do tend to copy each other, but they are both eating them whenever they are outside. Should I try to stop them or let them go ahead and eat the seeds?

Thanks for any advice.
Marilyn
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Maple Trees

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red maple (Acer rubrum) is also known as maple, soft maple, scarlet maple, curled maple and swamp maple.

Maple bark itself, is probably not toxic. However, there is a fungus that can grow on the bark, inhalation of which, can cause maple bark disease ( a form of allergic alveolitis). Maple wood would be safe to use for natural wood perches once the bark has been removed.

Maple seeds and the sugar-rich young leaves are considered edible EXCEPT to horses.

Wilted and dry, not FRESH, maple leaves produce an oxidant which has caused hemolytic anemia, renal failure, pulmonary edema and death in horses.

I don't know anything about trees, so I don't know if "maple" trees are one tree or a species
05-17-2004, 05:44 PM
My two seems to think this manna sent from heaven cause they love eating them, so far no adverse reactions. They actually sniff around til they find the ones the want and then "munch". I couldn't stop them if I tried.

Anna and Cody Heart
05-18-2004, 09:20 AM
:lol: Yes my two sniff around until they find ones (wish I knew what made some more appealing than others hahaha) and they munch away. So far Dino hasn't had anymore upset stomach so maybe he had eaten something else that bothered him (that silly boy will eat just about anything, whether it's food or not). He got hold of my toddlers sippy cup and managed to chew the top off and there was no sign of the milk that was in the cup so maybe that bothered Dino's stomach (the milk had been on the table since dinner, ahem SOMEBODY forgot to clear the table ..... ;-) ). In any case, glad to hear my two nutjobs aren't the only ones eating these things!
01-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Moving up old posts. :)

Doris
"If you talk with the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other.
If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know you will fear.
What one fears, one destroys."

CHIEF DAN GEORGE